The Alice Springs Landcare Group represents an association of six landcare groups in the Alice Springs area, Todd River, Maynard Park (Northside), Spencer Valley, Kurrajong and Ankerre Ankerre (Coolibah Swamp) featuring the Ilparpa Claypans.
Regular working bees - visit the facebook page for up to date information.
Landcare open days
Attend Field Days, workshops and forums
Alice Springs (Eastern Arrernte: Mparntwe) is the third-largest town in the Northern Territory of Australia. Known as Stuart until 31 August 1933, the name Alice Springs was given by surveyor William Whitfield Mills after Alice, Lady Todd, wife of the telegraph pioneer Sir Charles Todd. The town is situated roughly in Australia's geographic centre. It is nearly equidistant from Adelaide and Darwin.
The town straddles the usually dry Todd River on the northern side of the MacDonnell Ranges. The surrounding region is known as Central Australia, or the Red Centre, an arid environment consisting of several different deserts. The Arrernte people are the Traditional Owners and custodians of the Alice Springs area and surrounding MacDonnell Ranges.
The Eastern and Central Arrernte people live in Central Australia, their traditional land including the area of Alice Springs and East MacDonnell Ranges. They are also referred to as Aranda, Arrarnta, Arunta, and other similar spellings. Their neighbours are the Southern Arrernte, Luritja, Anmatyerr, Alyawarr and Western Arrernte peoples. Arrernte country is rich with mountain ranges, waterholes, and gorges; as a result the Arrernte people set aside 'conservation areas' in which various species are protected.